non trival problem with gtk1 and font size on SID

Hello!

Adter switching to SID - from a mini-iso cd woody instalation - I have
encountered a great problem with gtk1 applications linke xmms or
xcdroast. Font size in that app's is so small that all texts in there is
practically unreadable. This is very annoying and I cannot make any use
of this applications.

To fix this problem I was googling for a while and did some tweaks but
it didn't help. I have found:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2003/debian-gtk-gnome-200304/msg00093.html

and I did as it suggested: downloaded ms fonts, installed them, added to
the XWindows config (and, from the log, I'm sure it finds fonts), run
the switch program and chosen the apropriate font. The font in switch
program has changed but after I run f.egz. xcdroast font remains the
same.

I have discovered that in switch app there are only four fonts visible
in iso8859-2 encoding (which I use in local pl_PL.ISO-8859-2): charter,
clean, courier (bistream) i fixed (misc).

I think that my apps fail to get fonts they want and view the fixed font
(which has only size 6 in iso8859-2 encoding) instead of chosen. It may
be only my not very accurate assumption.

please help me to make my desktop usefull again!

cayco

P.S. I have up-to-date SID with Xfree86 in version 4.3 from Branden's
prite repository, I can send all logs if necessary
P.P.S. Please CC me because I am not a subscriber of gtk-gnome