Re: 'shutdown' options

On 04 Jun 2003 20:32:09 +0200
Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos@pemas.net> wrote:

> El mié, 04 de 06 de 2003 a las 20:00, Sven Luther escribió:
> > On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:02:47AM -0700, Pete Shinners wrote:
> > > this is more of a gnome than debian question, but...
> > >
> > > how do i enable the "Shutdown" and "Reboot" buttons on the logout
> > > dialog? it seems if i am logged in as root they are available, but i'd
> > > like to shutdown when i'm normally logged in as well.
> >
> > Look at the archive of this list about a discussion i took part in about
> > this selfsame subject.
>
> An easy (but really ugly and insecure) solution could be setuid the
> shutdown command and link it at /bin or /usr/bin

Didn't see the archived discussion, but this method works for me:

Create executable /usr/local/sbin/shutdown which does a sudo shutdown:

    #!/bin/bash
    sudo /sbin/shutdown $*

Add users to /etc/sudoers with permission to run /sbin/shutdown.  Eg add line:

    user    ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown

Edit /etc/gdm.conf and change the RebootCommand/HaltCommand to use
/usr/local/sbin/shutdown.

Run gdmsetup as root and configure gdm to show the system menu.

Bill