Re: About your XFree4.3 packages

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 02:41:03AM +0100, Stian Jordet scrawled:
> I don't know if you are to blame, and even if you are, I do understand
> that these packages are without any kind of support. But I have some
> troubles, which according to Christian Marillat on the debian-gtk-gnome
> list is to blame on xft2, that I want to let you know about.

Hi Stian!
Thanks for your report. I'm using XFree86 4.3 both at home and work, and
quite a few people are using it as well, and I've not seen errors like
this, but that's in no way to suggest that this report is invalid.

> First, pan dies with this message (this is official Debian package):
>
> [...]

I can't reproduce this - I just installed pan from sid, and it ran fine.

> Next, Evolution-1.3 (source packages from Michael D?nzer, which I have
> compiled):
>
> [...]

Did you build it against XFree86 4.3, or did you build it on a 4.2
machine? Is your xlibs-dev 4.3.0 or 4.2.1?

> And third, Phoenix (the browser) will NOT run when I enable xft-support
> at compiletime with XFree 4.3.

Hmm, I've never tried Phoenix.

> Pan and Phoenix worked like a charm with Xfree4.2.1. Evolution-1.3 I
> never tried.
>
> Just wanted to let you know that this _might_ be a problem with your
> packages, but it might as well be me that is screwing things up.

Thanks for the report; I'm following it up now, but unfortunately I
can't reproduce it under any KDE app (either the 3.1.1-1 packages, or my
self-built CVS HEAD), or Pan. I'll see how Evolution goes and shoot off
a reply.

The thing to try would be to see if *every* package is up-to-date sid
(or are you using the woody backport?).

In the meantime, if anyone on the list can shed any light on this issue,
that would be much welcome.

Thanks!
:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne