windows fonts and fontconfig

I'm not sure if this is the place to raise this issue, but here goes
anyway:

For a long time mozilla and galeon would crash any time I visited
news.com.com pages the browser would crash.  After a great deal of
effort I managed to figure out that a copyright symbol displayed in the
"MS Sans Serif" font would cause the browser to crash.  This font was
installed on my system in the form of a symlink to a windows
installation's font folder in the fontconfig path.  When I instead used
only the .ttf files from the windows installation (and none of the .fon
files, where the MS Sans Serif font was found), the problem vanished.

I suspect that this is an issue with fontconfig or xft2, or possibly
mozilla's use of xft2, or maybe debian's packages.  Or something.  Is
this a known issue?  If so, does anyone know where this bug is coming
from?  Where should I report it?

-Rob