Compiling gtk

I am building Gnome2 in Debian (woody). I was going to use the evilgenius version but decided to make from the sources to learn more about Linux.

I installed XFree86 4.2.1 from the binaries. When I compile gtk+-2.2.1 the ./configure script can not find libX11. It fails on a test using XOpenDisplay.

I do have libX11 installed. The install dir is in the ld.so.conf file, and also in the env var LFLAG.

I've finally thrown in the towel and am turning to this august body for this.

Thank you

Tom Lamm