installing a gtk theme

Hi everyone :)

I am trying to install a gtk/gtk2 theme for about two weeks now, and I
am near the point of surrendering :( Hopefully this is not too off-topic
as I do not use gnome or debian, instead fluxbox und netbsd. So I don't
have any control-center where I could easily install it by selecting the
tar.gz file, but have to do it by hand. I downloaded several themes and
inflated them and then copied the gtkrc file to my home dir renaming it
.gtkrc and it works as far as it changes the colors but not the pixmaps,
as the corners are still very square and it doesn't look like the
screenshots at all, exept the colors. I would like to install
lighthouseblue or crux2 if that could anyhow work. Does anyboy know what
I forgot or did wrong? Thanks very much in advance for any hints :)

greetings,
Felix