Re: A couple of issues with Gnome 2.2 Woody backport

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 01:52, Alexander Antoniades wrote:
> I'm posting to this message list so maybe someone can tell me if these
> problems are specific to Jamie Strandboge's Woody backport or not.
>
> If there's some more general Gnome-Debian forum please let me know, it's
> surprising that there isn't a user list like there is for KDE.
>
> Anyway on to the problems:
>
> Games: I don't know whether this is due to the fact that I didn't have
> Gnome installed before, but the game links are all messed up on the
> Gnome menu, when I try to launch them I get:
> Details: Failed to execute child process "same-gnome" (No such file or
> directory)
> Yet when I launch them from the Debian menu or in KDE, all the Gnome games
> work. I can't find a menu editor to see what the links point to.

Someone else had this issue-- it had to do with their PATH.  If you
change the command to be an absolute path-- they will work.  The other
person upgraded from Xandros for what it is worth.

> Icons: While the Gnome menu has excellent icons, Start Here, Desktop
> Preferences, Server Settings, System Settings, Network Servers (on the
> menu) and Network Neighborhood are all lacking icons. This problem presists
> across themes.

Try:
apt-get install gnome-icon-theme

Then go under the Theme manager and click Details and choose the Gnome
theme for icons.

> These are both fairly minor issues, but there is one more and that's
> gnome-spell-0.5 crashes everytime I send an email in Evolution.

What version of evolution are you using?  If 1.0.5 (from woody),
downgrade the gnome-spell to the one in woody.  If you are using the
backported 1.2.2, upgrade to gnome-spell in the backport.

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP ID:   26384A3A