Re: German 'umlaute' in gnome(-terminal)

El día 15 feb 2003, Thomas Mueller escribía:
> Hi Adrian!
>
> > > A real problem is the gnome-terminal. I can't enter german characters
> > > and they are displayed as '?'.
>
> I saw now they are sometimes displayed as unicode (?) too. Instead of
> 'ß' (hope this works for you) I get '\337'.
>
> > > In the menubar Terminal -> Character Coding -> Current Locale is set to
> > > ANSI_X3.4-1968. When I change that manually to ISO-8859-15 characters
> > > display correct but I still can't enter them.
> > >
> > > Should I file a bugreport or is this my fault? Did I miss anything?
> >
> > Are you sure that it's a problem of gnome-terminal, and not a problem of
> > your bash/libreadline settings? .inputrc might sometimes play such
> > games.
>
> I'm quite sure. Everything works fine except gnome-terminal.
>
> > Do umlauts work on the text console?
>
> Yes they work on the console. I've installed xterm now, everything works
> in a xterm too.

  Have you tried to change the font. I can use all kind of dead letters
  here (Spanish locales), even ü (u umlaut). I have only lost lately in
  this type of font the EUR symbol, but I guess that's due to some
  change in Xft.

--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo@debian.org