Re: Gnome 2.2 broken ?

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 10:43:39AM -0700, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> You say you 'dist-upgraded' your sid box. Do you mean to say that you
> upgraded from stable or testing to sid?
>
> If you were already running sid, 'dist-upgrade' is very very bad. It'll
> automatically decide to sacrifice packages in favor of others. If you're
> just bringing everything up to date, 'apt-get upgrade' is all you want.
> Otherwise, it's one of the most common upgrade mistakes I see.

Mmm, but an apt-get upgrade does have its inconvenience also.

What would be nice is to have a apt-get full-upgrade or whatever, which
would add additional packages but not remove any existing package like
dist-upgrade does.

Often it is needed, after an apt-get upgrade, to hand install many
package that apt-get upgrade didn't consider for installation.

Friendly,

Sven Luther