Re: Display home dir

peloy@chapus.net (Eloy A. Paris) writes:

> My question to the group is: what is wrong with a directory in each
> user's home directory called "Desktop"? I'd love to see this
> approach.

The reason I dislike this is that it gives you two "separate"
hierarchies to manage - your home folder and your magic desktop
folder. When I was running Windows, this always bothered me and I
never put anything else than links on the desktop. Which made it an
incomplete duplicate of the start menu, i.e. essentially useless. :-)

It just seems so natural having the desktop as the home. I also
suspect newcomers will understand the desktop as home dir idea better.
What you see is what you have.

[...]

> I see a lot of problems with the "use your home directory as your
> desktop" approach, like "I want to see dot files, even in the desktop
> folder". If we use our home directory as our desktop then we're
> screwed because there are just to many dot files there.

However, this can be fixed. It's just a question of Nautilus being
more sensible/flexible.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/