Re: Broken GDM internationalisation in Debian

Ole Laursen <olau@hardworking.dk> writes:

> Mantas =?ISO-8859-13?B?S3JpYXXoaftuYXM=?= <monte@mail.lt> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > I always have problems with GDM in Lithuanian language on debian.
> > Problem is here - GDM uses lang settings fron environment, but in
> > debian gdm start script starts before environment changes lang
> > setting to Lithuanian :( I sould every time, when installing debian
> > manually put LANG=lt_LT in /etc/init.d/gdm :(
> >
> > Hope debian developers will solve this problem.
>
> OK, considering the lack of a clean option, it's pretty obviously a
> bug. Does anyone here know who is to blame? Should the GDM package
> parse the /etc/environment script or is it a general problem with the
> boot procedure?

I guess that /etc/environment is a debian-specific place for setting
system wide variables. Probably gdm should do for the greeter what it
does for any user session it starts: Get the system-wide defaults
throught pam_env.so.

>  Where do I send my bug report?

bugzilla.gnome.org seems to be the only appropriate place as long as
gdm 2.4 isn't in the official Debian archive.

Johannes

--
~/.signature under construction