Re: Fwd: gnome-pilot [tom@osageinc.com]

Band camp? Maybe I need to know the list better...

Anyway, I could get the entire error message, but it keeps repeating itself insessently until I remove the applet. If I get further stuck, I will repeat that pain.

I did check the bug list, bugs on the fixed, and not fixed, list both matched my symptoms, so I was not clear on my issue. It appeared, from a cursory glance, that development on gnome-pilot ended a while back. I have shelved the problem for a while to complete the technical design of a new web site. When I get back to this, I will confirm what I think I saw on the end of development.

If I'm right on dev being complete, either the project is dead or complete. If complete, my computer is picking on me (MOMMM!). If dead, I3 may be inspired to pick it up and join the fray of Open Source developers. (You can teach an old dog new tricks, or the dog better get out of this business). I have a personal goal to be Windows free in '03.

Thank you for your help, I'll dig into the dev library. That same issue is preventing my upgrade up Balsa.

Tom Lamm

On 2003.01.06 23:58 Stephen Gran wrote:
This one time, at band camp, tom said:
> On 2003.01.06 23:22 tom wrote:
> I am a still unseasonsed linux user. I am using Debian Woody with
Gnome
> 1.4. I tried to install gnome-pilot from the debian .deb file. It
> crashes on the initial configuration with a segment fault.
>
> I decided to install from the source, but the ./configure fails
> thinking that Gnome is not installed. Apparently the Gnome .deb does

> not include gnomeConf.sh.
>
> I dug around and found that gnomeConf.sh comes from the gnomeLibs. I

> downloaded that, but its configure says that GTK is not installed. I

> don't know if it is missing a single file, or if the libs are for
Gnome
> 2. The lib version is 1.2.13.
>
> So, I considered re-installing Gnome from the sources, but decided
that
> it is not worth the effort if I do not upgrade to 2.0. But, 2.0 does

> not work with Woody, only Sid. I'm putting off the upgrade to 2.0
until
> Sid becomes stable.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is Sid stable enough that a savvy, but unseasoned, computer
> professional can rely on it for running a business?
> 2. Am I just doing something stooopid with the gnome-pilot install
that
> I can fix?
>
> I have over 10 years application programming experience and am a
> technical user, so compiling and configuring do not scare me. Most
of
> my experience has been with Windows, so I am still floundering a bit

> with Linux.
>
> Thank you for the feedback,
>
> Tom Lamm

You've run into a fairly common stumbling block for people just coming
to Debian.  Debian splits it's library packages between the libraries
needed at runtime (like libgtk1.2) and those needed at compile time
(like libgtk1.2-dev).  If a configure script bails on you, see if you
have the -dev library package installed.

But back to you original problem.  Do you get any more error messages,
or just the single word 'segfault'?  Have you checked to see if this
is
a known bug (bugview $PACKAGE)?  Any thing else you can find (logs,
console messages) that would help debug this?

To answer your question about sid, I would say that for the most part
it's pretty stable (I don't have more than one major issue a year per
box, it seems (^: ), but I would stay away right now - there is a
major
change over of all c++ apps, as the default compiler is changing, so
this will likely break binary compatibility between apps for a bit.
Then there is the perl transition, the GNOME, and KDE transitions,
etc.
A bit of a mess unless you're feeling adventurous.

Give testing (sarge) a try if you want something a little newer than
Woody - it gets packages trickling in from unstable once they pass a
certain time period without major bugs, so it's newer than stable, but
little more predictable than unstable.

HTH and good luck,