Re: [desktop] Thoughts on GTK+2 problems in Wmaker

Hi Matthew, hi list,

 maybe someone on the debian-gtk-gnome mailing list can hit us both with
 a cluebat?  Please?  I have quoted Matthew's message almost in its
 entirety.

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 06:13:39PM -0500, Matthew McGuire wrote:

 > [...] if I run GNOME 2 apps  in Wmaker the default user
 > configurations don't load for the applications. I have the suspicion
 > that gnome-session is responsible for this in some weird way. Why?
 > Well I can run Wmaker and then gmc and get the old gtk+1.4 app to
 > load its config correctly. Gmc will have the correct theme and font
 > sizes. I can then load Galeon and it will also load with the correct
 > theme and font sizes. However when Galeon loads it starts gconfd-2. I
 > believe this is because gconfd-2 functinally replaces the old gconfd
 > from GNOME. Logically I should then be able to load the new GNOME
 > Terminal and it should use the running gconfd-2 to load its config.
 > Alas it does not. I can force the system to load the settings by
 > opening any configuration tool in GNOME Control Center 2. Sadly this
 > also clobbers my desktop background, which is mostly harmless but
 > annoying.

 There's a setting somewhere "leave my desktop alone" or "don't set the
 background" or something like that.

 > The difference here is the oafd has now called the gnome-settings-
 > object module thing. (CORBA and bonobo still lose me a bit.) I
 > managed to figure most of this using pstree -aul and tracking it all
 > down. I am using wdm as my display manager as well.

 My (little) understanding of this issue is that GNOME apps start
 gconfd-2 automatically if it's not running.  And I think someone
 patched some GNOME 1 library in order to start gconfd-2 instead of the
 old version.

 > So enough of that. I wanted to know if you ran into the same problem
 > and if you found any solutions.

 No, it doesn't ring a bell here.

 Greetings,

 Marcelo