Re: HTTP stuff timing out on package install

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 02:41:51PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Sven Luther">
>
> > > Regardless of arguments about libxml asking for permission before
> > > downloading, this is a Debian bug. Debian really needs to get its XML
> > > catalogue stuff sorted. Then all of this pain will disappear
> > > immediately.
> >
> > You never tryied upgrading an offline box, did you ?
> >
> > Having apt-get wait 20 minutes or even more when you upgrade a package is
> > not a nice thing. And it is worse if you pay expensively for your slow
> > modem connection.
>
> Okay, so, there's a really big bug to fix that would magically solve that.

If it isn't clear, fixing the XML catalog stuff will make the
downloading stop, and save all modem issues.

If you report this bug to libxml2 Daniel Veillard will just go on a
big rant about the Debian XML catalog setup not being standards
compliant. I'm not saying Daniel is right, just that I would not
personally choose to start this argument. ;-) Fixing the catalog is
way easier. ;-)

Havoc