Re: HTTP stuff timing out on package install

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 08:26:02AM +0100, Alexander Koch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I see these messages every now and then, for example with
> scrollkeeper and the latest galeon-snapshot, can anyone clue
> me in what these are about? What is trying to connect to
> what? The galeon-snapshot package succeeded after some
> timeout, scrollkeeper is happily taking some 5 minutes
> already... just wondering here.

Well, i believe it is a bug in scrollkeeper or libxml2, which will
download from the net the dtd that are not available, without prior
asking. Other believe this is normal behavior though, and that the
corresponding applications should ship the dtd they need, which is true,
but still downloading from the net (and waiting a long time in case
there is _no_ net connectivity) without asking prior concent _is_ buggy
behavior.

Anyway, in this case it seem (but i am no expert) that gnome-terminal
and netspeed are the culprit here. You should fill bugs against them
(and against libxml2 for not asking you before downloading).

Friendly,

Sven Luther