Re: Gnome 2 Install Bugs

I sent the message below earlier and got several responses, but since I
wasn't subscribed to the mailing list, I don't know how to respond
directly.  So, here are some details that several of you asked for:

- I am using the Woody backport of Gnome 2 which unless it's been fixed
since last Thursday still contains the two major install bugs I
mentioned.  I thought the woody backport would be the safest way to try
Gnome 2 on an otherwise all Woody (a.k.a. Stable) system.  Was that an
incorrect assumption?

- MISSING STUFF: Some of the features I mentioned that appear to be
missing include: the thing in the Control Center that lets me choose
which window manager to use and the Palm sync settings.  I'm not sure
what else is missing there, but it seems like there were a lot of other
things I could configure before.  Also, a lot of programs that had been
in the Gnome:Applications menu seem to have been removed for no obvious
reason.  For example the Graphics group used to contain the Gimp, but
after the upgrade, it is gone from that menu.  I can still get to the
Gimp from the Gnome:Debian menu.  Other items missing from the
Gnome:Applications menu after the upgrade include xmcd and gvim to name
two that jump out at me.  I'm not sure what else is missing, but in
general, there appear to be way fewer applications available through the
Gnome:Applications menu after the upgrade (even though the programs are
still installed).  I am also missing the favorites menu, but based on
one response, I may have just not figured out how to enable it.

- FAVORITES MENU: Please tell me how to enable the favorites menu in
Gnome 2.  Not only could I not figure out how to enable the favorites
menu (mainly by looking in the Preferences and panel properties), I
couldn't find a way to add any menu at all other than the normal Gnome
menu.

- WINDOW LIST APPLET: My panel is 48 pixels high.  I haven't changed
that and since upgrading to Gnome 2.  Upon conversion, it was using two
rows to display running programs.  However, after restarting my X
session, it now crams everything onto one row.  I think that
re-executing the gnome-stuff-1-to-2 script seems to make it use two rows
again (until it mysteriously reverts to its one row behavior).  Also the
grouping doesn't work for example when I open multiple Mozilla windows,
multiple XTerms, etc.  It appears to never group.  Also, there appears
to be no option to specify how many windows of a specific type show be
executing before grouping takes place.

I appreciate everyone's help.

--
Chris Ingram