Re: gtk2 very slow and memory hungry?

Chun Kit Edwin Lau <try_email_me@yahoo.ca> writes:

> Thanx, but for gweather the shared is about 6.4MB and the total is 8.9.
> 2.5MB is quite a bit of memory.  Gnome-Terminal uses 4.7MB without
> shared.  So I suppose it is fine right.

Yeah, it is quite a lump. I wonder why they grow so much. Over 1 Mb
seems a lot for a rather simple applet. In the case of Gnome Terminal,
it is servicing all of your terminals, though.

> Anyway, don't know why things slow down that much. You have any
> system freezes when starting gnome app?

No. You must have some other problem. Did you look in the file
.gnome-errors in your home directory? And how do you define freeze?
Nothing responds?

Wild guess: what happens if you try

  GDK_USE_XFT=0 gnome-calculator   # or some other program

Is that faster?

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/