Re: [desktop] Please read the vFolder spec [Was: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks]

Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> writes:
> I have no problem with using vFolder XML files as an option for
> categorization, and intend to support it as an option once I have the
> Debian system actually nailed down to do anything; however, IMHO it's
> a heavyweight solution to a lightweight problem, and I could spend
> months writing the XML to do what I could--and did--do in ~50 lines of
> real code (yes, I realize I'm supposed to use some whiz-bang thing to
> make the XML for me, but what's the point of having things
> human-readable when they're not human-writable).

Wasn't meaning to argue whether vfolders are better or worse, just
noting that a common system could certainly address any issues you
have, if we work on it and get it spec'd out. And also I think having
a common system is more important than everyone being 100%
happy. Compromise good.

Implementing your own menu editor and such is nontrivial, and e.g. you
will also have to update the gnome/kde docs and i18n to reflect the
change, and keep forward-porting your patches as upstream changes. It
doesn't make sense IMO. Speaking as someone who has modified upstream
menu systems in a _smaller_ way than I understand you are suggesting.
Though I'll admit I don't fully understand what you are planning.

Havoc