Re: gnome, gdm and background image.

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 22:02, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 09:43:19PM +0900, Alfonso Muñoz-Pomer Fuentes wrote:

> > > You're not the only one, I'm seeing that too...
> >
> First, i am using gnome2, not gnome1.

Yes, I was talking also about Gnome 2. Are you running unstable? I am
running Woody and as far as I know there are some differences with the
packages released for Sid.

> No, i have set the gnome2 background property to show my background, now
> nautilus2 no more seem to have a way of putting the background.
>
> Also, in the splash screen, the correct desktop is set at the begining
> (second item i think, the windows manager) and nautilus is the 4th (and
> last) item.

Well, actually Nautilus 2 has a property to draw the desktop, but it
doesn't mean that it draws the background (or it shouldn't!), of course
the background is set from the Background properties. However, when
Nautilus 2 "draws" the desktop, which means it puts the icons on it, is
the time when that grey image appears, I believe.
You can try the following:
1) Tell Nautilus not to draw the desktop, then restart Gnome 2 and see
if that blip appears.
2) If it doesn't open again Nautilus preferences and then mark "Use
Nautilus to draw the desktop".
3) Just before the icons appear the same grey image you were seeing at
the beginning shows for a moment and then you get the normal background
again with the icons on it.
4) If you unmark that option the icons disappear but it reverts to the
plain colour and the background image doesn't appear until you go to the
Background properties and change something there. If you just change the
background colour, for example, the background image shows up again.

It seems that the background properties is very dependent on Nautilus 2,
which is natural if Nautilus 2 can be used to draw the desktop. But
there are some strange things going on inside. I think the most annoying
one is that if you disable Nautilus the background image disappears. I
don't know if that's solved in Gnome 2 for Sid or in the CVS releases or
in any other distributions.

> Mmm, will try this, but it doesn't solve anything, since then the icon
> won't appear.
>
> I will wait for gnome2 to enter unstable, look again and then submit a
> bug report.

Gnome 2 enters unstable tomorrow :)

> In the mean time, maybe i will ask on one of the gnome-user mailing lists,
> just to be sure i am not missing something obvious.
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

Regards,

Alfonso Muñoz-Pomer Fuentes