Re: [desktop] Please read the vFolder spec [Was: why kde and gnome's menu situation sucks]

<quote who="Miles Bader"/>

> Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> writes:
> > I think this thread could do with a good helping of spec-reading. :-)
> >
> >   http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/VFolderDesktops.txt
>
> I looked at that, and it's almost completely impossible to understand,
> since it apparently assumes that you already know what they're talking
> about ...
>
> In particular:  What are `vfolders'?

Virtual folders (read: menus). It allows the application displaying the
menus to decide on the structure (eg. gnome-panel, kicker, the Debian menu
update scripts), rather than hardcoding the layout on disk.

> And: what are `.desktop's?

The .desktop format is the proposed replacement for Debian's current menu
file format, and in use by GNOME and KDE already. I would have thought the
standard was required reading for even starting to discuss the next-gen menu
stuff in Debian...

  http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/desktop-entry-spec.html

- Jeff

--
           What do you get when you cross a web server and a hen?
                                  Apoache.