Re: Results of transition scripts

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 13:16, Rick L Vinyard Jr wrote:
> Just a few (very brief) notes about the results of using the transition
> scripts. I've kept things brief and haven't attached files since I don't
> want to flood the list with too much extraneous material.
>
> Here's a brief run-down of the actions and results.
>
> 1. Installed the new files (in particular gnome-session) from the
> following repositories:
> 	deb http://verbum.org/~walters/debian/ staging/i386/
> 	deb http://verbum.org/~walters/debian/ staging/all/

OK, I am uploading newer versions of the package to that site now, which
should hopefully fix some issues.

(By the way, you don't need to substitute i386 for $(ARCH) in the uris;
apt will do that for you)

> 2. Logged out and restarted gdm. Logged back in and got no results. The
> transition script didn't start. At this point I looked at the docs on
> gnome-session and in particular noted the need for the exec line and
> WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable in .xinitrc.

Hmmmm.  Can you give me more details here?  What does "no results" mean
exactly?  The screen just stayed blue (or whatever), and nothing was
started?  Did you get the default GNOME 2 desktop?

Also, what's in ~/.xsession-errors (or ~/.gnome-errors)?

> 3a. Corrected .xinitrc and logged in again. This time the transition
> scripts executed but with poor results. I had no window manager (former
> manager was WindowMaker, but Sawfish was also configured).

Hm.  Yes, I think I'll need to see your ~/.gnome directory.

> 3b. It did appear that the panels transitioned in place appropriately,
> along with the volume applet. However, the other applets (flink,
> asclock, xmms, multiload, mount, pager, gweather) didn't make the
> transfer even though some (multiload, pager, gweather) are in gnome2.

The pager should work.  Multiload is a bit of a pain, but I'm going to
work on it.  I'll add gweather to that list too.

> 4. I chose to not accept the settings, and logged in again with a clean
> setup, which started Nautilus and properly started Sawfish with my
> previous settings, and reconfigured from there.

OK, good to know that worked.

> Let me know if there are specific files or directories you would like to
> compare (such as the old and the new .gnome/.gnome2 dirs). If you want
> I'll tar 'em up and send them.

Yes, it would be great if you could put them up on the web somewhere.
If not, email it to me (and let me know if it's ok if I put it up on the
web so other people can use it to test too).

Thanks a lot for testing the scripts!