Re: transition status

Colin Walters <walters@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 12:43, Christian Marillat wrote:

[...]

> I'm not sure if Red-Hat did some scripts for that. I'll try to check the
> G2 rpm

> Ok, I will do that too.  Do you want to split up the work?  I can handle
> the gnome-panel transition scripts if you like.

My script is finished for all core apps execpt for the panel and the
core applets.

The latest script is here :

http://marillat.free.fr/dists/gnome_1_to_2

For the panel, the G1 configuration is very strange and I understand now
why the panel was crashing and lost his configuration.

If you want i've 5 differents ~/.gnome directories send by users. This
may help for tests.

[...]

> Not sufficient because G2 now use gconf and only some files in ~/.gnome
> are still used in G2

> Huh?  I don't see how that's relevant.  What we want is a way to test
> whether this is the user's first time running GNOME 2.  I thought about
> this a bit more, and I realized that since gnome-terminal 2.0 is already
> in unstable, users will already have a ~/.gnome2 directory.  I think
> testing for ~/.gnome2/panel2.d should be sufficient.

Some configuration are now in gconf and the pending file for G1 aren't
necessary. I've not tested that for the panel. BTW the first think that
do my script is to copy all files in ~/.gnome to ~/.gnome2 :-)

Christian