Re: Gnome 2.0 antialiased fonts

At 13:37 04/10/2002 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Fre, 2002-10-04 at 12:07, Alexis Sukrieh wrote:

> Just a thing to underline : in debian unstable/experimental, Xfree doesn't
> load the xft module and then AA isn't enabled since user hack his
> XF86config-4 file...
>
> Just adding Load "xft" make the stuff working.

There's no xft XFree86 module, do you mean xtt? Anyway, that has nothing
to do with AA either.

Well, tell me if I'm wrong but what I say is based on that :

Xft is based on freetype, thus you must load the freetype module. Basically, edit your XF86Config (that can be called XF86Config-4 on some distributions such as RedHat or Mandrake) and make sure you have the following modules loaded in the Module section :
freetype
type1
xft
Example :
Section "Module"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "xft"
Load "extmod"
Load "xie"
Load "pex5"
Load "glx"
Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"
Load "dbe"
Load "record"
EndSection

Which is coming from here : http://www.xfce.org/Xft_and_Xfce_mini_Howto.html

Maybe in my case it was just adding Load "freetype" I don"t know.

> >That's a different story. /etc/environment is the "canonical" way of
> >setting _system wide_ defaults. I want gdm to accept de_DE@euro as
> >_system wide_ default locale and I want AA enabled by default _for_
> >_all users.
>
> Well BTW, I have a strange problem : AA fonts works perefectly under
> Gnome2/XFree if I start it from a console.
> If I boot on the graphic runlevel, AA is disabled.
> And yes, I've put GDM_USE_XFT=1 in /etc/environment ...
It's *GDK_USE_XFT*. I have that in /etc/environment and it works, YMMV.

Hehe :)
I know ! it was a false keystroke ...

I do have
GDK_USE_XFT in /etc/environment and it does not work.

Alexis Sukrieh (sukria), <alexis@sukria.net>
. homepage  - [http://sukria.net]
. PGP key  - [http://sukria.net/print.php?c=privacy]
. mydynaweb - [http://www.mydynaweb.net]