Re: imlib+png2 packages and graphics -dev libs depends/conflicts

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 07:28:21PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> [Cc-ing debian-gtk-gnome due to the relevance for getting the GNOME1
> png3->png2 rollback to happen]
>
> Steve,
>
> I just noticed the imlib+png packages being ACCEPTED. They appear to be a
> step forward in preparing the rollback of the incomplete and problematic
> GNOME1 png2->png3 transition.
>
> I do have a question about these packages though: the -dev packages
> explicitly require libpng2-dev, libjpeg62-dev, libtiff3g-dev, libungif4-dev
> to be installed; conflict with libpng3-dev; and their /usr/bin/imlib-config
> has "-ljpeg -ltiff -lungif -lpng" in its gx_libs.
>
> With the "imlib" source package, the dependencies on the graphics libs -dev
> packages and the explicit "-lgraphiclib"s in the -config script could be
> dropped (see #151998). As far as I can tell [*] this should be possible for
> imlib+png2 as well, or am I overlooking something?

Library imlib links directly to the graphics libs, so "imlib-config
--libs" lists all the grpahics libs, and imlib-dev depends on all the
graphics libs -dev packages.

Library gdk-imlib, on the other hand, uses the graphics libs by dlopening
them rather than directly linking.  Hence "imlib-config --libs-gdk"
does NOT include -lgraphiclib, nor does gdk-imlib-dev depend on the
corresponding graphics -dev packages.

The dependencies of gdk-imlib1-dev and gdk-imlib-dev should be the
same, modulo libpng2/3; the same goes for imlib1-dev and imlib-dev.  I
believe that to be the case, but if you find otherwise, show me the
debian/control file.

> If this is indeed possible, please change the packages accordingly, as it
> then becomes possible to build gnome-libs (against libpng2) on a system that
> has libpng3-dev installed.

Oh, I see that gdk-imlib1-dev conflicts with libpng3-dev; that is an
oversight which shall be corrected.  Thanks for bringing it to my
attention.

> [*] I just verified that I could build gnome-libs against the imlib+png2
> packages in a chroot which had libpng2-dev removed (--force-depends) and in
> which I manually dropped the "-lpng" from imlib-config.

Doesn't gnome-libs use "imlib-config --libs-gdk"?
                                            ^^^^
There should be no -lpng then.

Cheers,
-Steve