Re: GNOME 1 ABI involving libpng

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 19:52:18 +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:15:48 +0200
> "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" <dm@zensunni.demon.nl> wrote:
> > The attached patch does that: it introduces a "libpng2-altdev" package
> > that (unlike libpng2-dev) can be installed alongside libpng3-dev and can
> > be used to build libpng2-dependent packages without needing a chroot or
> > removing lots of libpng3-dev-dependent -dev packages.
>
> Please don't fork png further.

I'm afraid I don't follow you. My patch does nothing more than introducing
an alternative packaging of libpng2's development files, which allows
building libpng2-dependent packages on systems that need to have libpng3-dev
installed as well. As you can see in the patch, the -altdev is merely a
different packaging/renaming of the includes, .a and .so of libpng2-dev. The
.h, .a and .so files in libpng2-altdev are _identical_ to the ones in
libpng2-dev. There is no fork.

> Upstream releases already implement that.

I don't follow. Upstream releases don't deal with coexistance of Debian
packages of different versions of a library.

Ray
--
The Linux movement has been independent of anything Microsoft is doing. It's
one of those cosmic movements in the industry, like the emergence of the