gnome2 and libgtk2 png3

Hi,
Forgive me if this issue has been fully resolved, and I'm just doing something wrong, but I've slogged through the last month of list archives and couldn't find a very direct response to this issue. I upgraded to gnome2 in experimental quite early, and have been fairly happily running gnome 2 stuff for a number of months now. However, I've gotten caught up in the libgtk2.0-0png3 upgrade fun, which I think I basically understand, and which seems to be largely resolved in unstable. My problem is this:
   atom:/home/micah# apt-get install libgtk2.0-0png3
   Reading Package Lists... Done
   Building Dependency Tree... Done
gconf-editor gconf2 glade-common-2 glade-gnome-2 gnome-gv libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libeel2-2 libeel2-data libgail-common libgail17 libglade2-0 libgnome-desktop-0 libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomedb2-1 libgnomedb2-common libgnomeprintui-0 libgnomeui-0 libgnutls5 libgtk-common
     libgtk2.0-common libgtkhtml2-0 librsvg2-2 libtasn1-0 libwnck4 metacity
     metatheme python2.2-glade2 python2.2-gtk2 yelp
   The following packages will be REMOVED:
eog2 gnome-applets2 gnome-control-center2 gnome-media2 gnome-panel-data2 gnome-panel2 gnome-session2 gnome-terminal2 libgail11 libgail13 libgail16 libgail9 libgnome2-segv libgtk2.0-0 libpanel-applet2-0 librsvg2-1 libzvt2-0 mozilla-browser-snapshot mozilla-mailnews-snapshot mozilla-psm-snapshot
     rep-gtk-gnome2 rep-gtk2 sawfish-merlin-ugliness sawfish2
     libgail17 libgnutls5 libgtk2.0-0png3 libtasn1-0
27 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 24 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
   Need to get 7602kB of archives. After unpacking 60.5MB will be freed.
   Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
   Abort.

So, I saw the talk earlier this month about getting rid of the gnome2 packages, but I still don't see any other packages which provide version 2.0.x of the gnome software. I'd like to upgrade my libgtk2, but I'd like not to loose my desktop. I understand that getting stuff in unstable ready for testing is a much bigger priority. Is gnome2/experimental simply back burner until libgtk2.0-0png3 hits testing? I'm happy to wait patiently, I'm just trying to make sure there's not something I'm missing that would allow me to get my system upgraded sooner.
Thanks very much for your help.

-micah