Re: libgtk2 png3 transition ... [2002-08-17]

On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 15:38, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:

> Indeed. Gnumeric provides an excellent illustration as to why we should
> commit to the libpng3 transition for GNOME1, or roll back to libpng2.

Switching to png3 is not an option for GNOME 1.  We would be breaking
binary compatibility.

> That rebuild is peanuts compared to the GNOME1 -> GNOME2 transition. We're
> in for the penny with the png2 -> png3 transition, we'd better be in for the
> pound as well. Once png2 -> png3 is finished, we'll have the time to
> properly reflect on how this kind of transition can be handled with less
> intermittent breakage in the future.

I think what we learned from this whole debacle is that we should have
handled the png issue the same way Red Hat did; by hacking gtk2 to
dlopen png without RLTD_GLOBAL.