Re: GNOME 2 in unstable announcement

Le Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:52:19AM +0200, Rémi Letot écrivait:
> I know apt-get enough, thank you. But as long as there is no easy way
> to distinguish packages from gnome2/gnome1, there is no easy way to
> tell apt-get which packages to upgrade/downgrade.
>
> How in hell am I supposed to keep gnome1 if I don't even know which
> packages are from gnome2 ? OK, you can tell me "read the list
> archive", I know there is a list of packages, but that does not
> qualify as an easy or obvious way. A *2 package name does.

This is ridiculous. If we package Gnome 1 and Gnome 2 separately, you
still have to know the list of packages which are part of Gnome in order
to install all the *2 packages.

So in any case, if you plan to switch from one to the other,
you have to know the list of packages that constitutes Gnome.

This list (or a superset of the list) can be obtained with :
apt-cache show gnome

> You want good testing of the system (conversion scripts,...) before it
> goes to the testing branch ? Then you need to keep developpers with
> gnome1 systems at first. If your first move towards a well tested
> transition is to slam each potential tester's configuration, how are
> you going to test ? With lame users like me ?

Installing Gnome2 doesn't slam any configuration. It just push you in an
unconfigured (~default configured) desktop.

You can test the transition scripts by launching the manually at any
time. They will just replace your current Gnome2 configuration by the
configuration extracted from your gnome 1.4 configuration files.

> I don't even understand why you don't want *2 package names... Yes it
> would be more work

It means work from the maintainers, from the ftpmasters (which also
means delays), and for what gain ? beeing able to switch from Gnome 1.4
to 2 (and vice versa) while it is also doable without packaging them
separately.

Cheers,