Re: graphical apt, trials and tribulations

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 08:42:37AM -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 07:16, Ross Burton wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 11:52, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > > 1) A number of packages prompt for user input directly during
> > > configuration. This basically precludes use of a nice interface. Popping
> > > up a terminal box is not a serious solution. Things that use debconf
> > > work just fine of course. It would be nice to have policy that
> > > stipulated that direct prompting could not be done.
> >
> > Debconf allows multiple backends for the actual configuration, right?
> > Surely a new backend which is implemented using GNOME Druids or
> > something could be created, which is selected when ApplicationManger
> > starts installing packages and reverts back to the system defauly when
> > it finishes.
>
> He said Debconf is fine - I'm assuming it's the retarded packages that
> don't use Debconf that are the problem.  He has a valid point - those
> should be expressly denied by Debian policy, Lintian should throw a
> hissy-fit at any package that looks like it prompts w/o Debconf, etc.

Technically speaking, debconf was only even permitted by policy as of
earlier this release cycle. It's a bit early to mandate it yet. (And
lintian is unlikely to be able to spot packages that don't use it at all
reliably, I should think ...)

Isn't it possible to pop up a terminal-like widget? It doesn't have to
be an actual terminal, just something that can display output and accept
input.