Re: graphical apt, trials and tribulations

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 11:52, Seth Nickell wrote:

[snip]

Groovy.  I've started a wizard-style program for quickly upgrading
certain packages (allowing the user to select what ones to upgrade
easily -- upgrading all of tetex every week is a bit harsh on a dialup
line).  Maybe this code could be absorbed into your code.

/me checks it out from cvs

> 1) A number of packages prompt for user input directly during
> configuration. This basically precludes use of a nice interface. Popping
> up a terminal box is not a serious solution. Things that use debconf
> work just fine of course. It would be nice to have policy that
> stipulated that direct prompting could not be done.

Debconf allows multiple backends for the actual configuration, right?
Surely a new backend which is implemented using GNOME Druids or
something could be created, which is selected when ApplicationManger
starts installing packages and reverts back to the system defauly when
it finishes.

Regards,
Ross
--