Re: GNOME 2 packages

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 08:51:20PM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> >> "SMR" == Steve M Robbins <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:

> > What I'm worried about is having some unsuspecting SID-user (e.g. me)
> > suddenly having GNOME 1 stop working because some piece of GNOME 2 got
> > installed during "apt-get upgrade".  It would be nice to have some
> > public commitment from the Debian Gnomes about this.  I am getting a
> > little worried about the Gnome 2 status reports (which are wonderful)
> > that state things are already installed or in "incoming".  Are we sure
> > all of this will not upset existing Gnome 1 systems?
>
> I'm not sure if I was clear, but package name for application should be
> package_name2 and this package should conflict with package_name, because
> binaries name are the same in both packages.

Ah, thanks.  I did not realise this.  I guess this is part of the
Gnome 1->2 transition plan?

In the latest Gnome 2 summary, I can see also packages like glib,
gnome-core, gnome-applets, gnome-common, and the like that do NOT have
a "2" in the package name.  These packages are apparently being
uploaded to "sid".  Or are they?

In the case of libraries, will the same binary .deb be compatible
with both Gnome 1 and 2?  Or will compatibility break at some
revision?  If the latter, will the newer packages cease being
uploaded to sid?

-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,