Re: GNOME2 Alpha release on Debian

>> "SMR" == Steve M Robbins <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:

> Hello,

Hi,

> I've got an idle question about GNOME2.  As I understand it,
> Gnome upstream is designed so that versions 1 and 2 can be
> installed simultaneously.  True?

Only libraries.

> Are the debian packages also designed to allow Gnome 1 and Gnome 2 be
> simultaneously installed?  Clearly, there is no problem for a library
> that only exists in Gnome 1 or in Gnome 2.  If a library changes
> SONAME from 1->2, there would be no problem with the library runtime
> package.  Will the -dev packages be simultaneously installable?

For -dev packages :

Include files are installed in /usr/include/package_name-1.0 for Gnome 1
and in /usr/include/package_name-2.0 for Gnome 2

For lib packages :

Nothing change for Gnome 1 and libraries are called
/usr/lib/package-name-2.0

In both case we can install Gnome 1 and Gnome 2 without problems.

> What about the application packages, e.g. sawfish?

The problem is here, applications have the same name, so sawfish2 should
conflict with sawfish.

Christian