Re: how to install libgdkxft with an existing GNOME 2

1) Hopefully you won't need gdkxft soon enough.
2) If you really need it, (and I wanted it), just download the package,
extract it with dpkg-deb into a temporary directory, and put the
appropriate library  file in /usr/local/lib/. Then manage your
LD_PRELOAD yourself. I created a /usr/local/bin/aalaunch as follows:

--------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libgdkxft.so
FILTER="sed s/\/usr\/local\/bin\//\/usr\/bin\//"
#echo $FILTER
TARGET=`echo $0 | $FILTER`
#echo $TARGET;
exec $TARGET $*

Then create symlinks for applications in /usr/bin. Eg:

$ ln -s /usr/local/bin/aalaunch /usr/local/bin/mozilla

Will create the /usr/local/bin/mozilla executable that launches
/usr/bin/mozilla with the libgtkxft environment...

For some reason tat least some of this has seemed to stop working
recently, but that could just be problems on my end.

--
Jeremy Nickurak <atrus@debian.spam.rifetech.com>