Re: GNOME 2.1.2 packages in sid

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 10:55:15AM -0500, Jack Howarth wrote:
> The following packages from GNOME 2.1.2 are in sid and need to
> be regressed or removed from sid.
>
> ORBit2 2.5.0
> acme 1.99.9 (doesn't exist in 2.0.2 so should be removed)
> bonobo-activation 2.1.0
> eog 1.1.x (gnome 2.0.2 has 1.0.3)
> gnome-games 2.1.0
> gnome-media 2.1.0
> gnome-terminal 2.1.0
> libbonobo 2.1.0
> libbonoboui 2.1.0
> libgtkhtml 2.1.2
>
> So it looks like there is a tad of building to be done.
>                         Jack

In general I agree, whoever uploaded these (and it's trivial to find out
or I could guess accurately =) needs a good kick. Jeff Waugh (the GNOME2
release manager, *not* some stupid troll) said *explicitly* not to
upload *any* versions from GNOME 2.1 into sid. I think this primarily
applies to the core components (desktop & libs), rather than
applications, so a possible exception could be made for things which are
now stable but weren't included in gnome2.0's original release. I don't
know if acme satisfies this, and eog could also be considered.

Unstable is the testing ground for Debian packages, not random versions
of upstream software. Why? Because they go into testing which is a
release candidate. Things that upstream wouldn't be happy going into a
release should not go into sid. If you want to package GNOME 2.1 in
advance or something, you should use somewhere on people.d.o, but
probably not experimental because too many people will still be pointing
there for GNOME 2.0.

Regards,
Rob