Re: Theme packages ?

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 15:42, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Hmm, well, no derivative can be called BlueCurve; only the single
> > original theme can be called BlueCurve.  I don't really see where it
> > could get confusing; unless you mean theme engines?  In that case, one
> > can have an engine called bluecurve and an engine called wonderland
> > installed at the same time; just so long as authors only make themes
> > that use the wonderland engine, it should be good, no?
>
> I made a theme called "DeepIce". It's a quick gtkrc-only hack on ThinIce so
> that it doesn't look so depressingly blue. Just changing the settings and
> colours a bit.
>
> If ThinIce was called "SmackHappy" on Red Hat machines, and ThinIce
> everywhere else, my theme would break for all Red Hat users. Should I
> distributed a separate theme called "DeepSmack" for them?
>
> When I start shipping my "DeepIceCollection" metatheme, which theme
> (gtk1|gtk2|metacity|icons) do I point to? Do I make a "DeepSmackCollection"?
>
> What about more advanced engine themes?
>
> Sure, perhaps it's just an inconvenience - but it does create a subtle
> incompatibility between GNOME desktops. That's bad. Will further use of
> trademarks affect Free Software cooperation on a larger scale? Should we
> accept this, or advocate better behaviour? Is it worth the hassle for some
> (high quality) themes?

It would be a pain, but truly that major?  RedHat users could still
install pure ThinIce along side 'SmackHappy'.  Many many other themes
require engines that aren't in many distros (save Debian ^,^ ), so it
shouldn't be much a bump to the RedHat users if the theme 'Requires the
ThinIce engine, which you do not have instaleld.'  The user wouldn't
even need to know that ThinIce==SmackHappy; just that they need to
install ThinIce.

Granted, I could now bitch how much a pain installing a theme engine can
be without packages for the average user, but that's a whole 'nother can
of worms that was a problem before BlueCurve ever came to us.  ^,^

Inconvenience, yes, but not anything that throws the Theme Universe out
of whack entirely.  ;-)

--
Sean Middleditch <elanthis@awesomeplay.com>
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.