Re: Theme packages ?

> Hmm, well, no derivative can be called BlueCurve; only the single
> original theme can be called BlueCurve.  I don't really see where it
> could get confusing; unless you mean theme engines?  In that case, one
> can have an engine called bluecurve and an engine called wonderland
> installed at the same time; just so long as authors only make themes
> that use the wonderland engine, it should be good, no?

I made a theme called "DeepIce". It's a quick gtkrc-only hack on ThinIce so
that it doesn't look so depressingly blue. Just changing the settings and
colours a bit.

If ThinIce was called "SmackHappy" on Red Hat machines, and ThinIce
everywhere else, my theme would break for all Red Hat users. Should I
distributed a separate theme called "DeepSmack" for them?

When I start shipping my "DeepIceCollection" metatheme, which theme
(gtk1|gtk2|metacity|icons) do I point to? Do I make a "DeepSmackCollection"?

What about more advanced engine themes?

Sure, perhaps it's just an inconvenience - but it does create a subtle
incompatibility between GNOME desktops. That's bad. Will further use of
trademarks affect Free Software cooperation on a larger scale? Should we
accept this, or advocate better behaviour? Is it worth the hassle for some
(high quality) themes?

- Jeff