Re: gnome 2 settings

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 12:57:49PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> Also, it would be nice if you could give us more information than "my
> carefully crafted settings blew up".  I know you are a technical person,
> and you should know that vague statements like that don't help in
> debugging.

Yes, I know; me bad.

> Were panels in the wrong places?  Did some applets not make the
> transition?  Were your custom icons for Wanda the Fish not preserved?  Etc.

As far as I could tell, _none_ of my settings were preserved, and I got all
the defaults (I suppose some were, but they weren't the visually obvious
ones!).

I think much of this might be due the conversion script not finishing, so I'm
not sure whether it's worth going into tons of detail (but I'll try a bit
anyway).

Off the top of my head:

  * The panels I got bore no resemblance to what I had before; in particular,
    before I had 3 corner panels of various sizes, in the NW, SE, and SW
    corners, with launchers, applets, etc.  Afterwards, I had just a top-edge
    `menu panel' (don't want that), and a bottom-edge panel with just a
    task-list and a `window nav' (don't know the name) applet.

    I think some of the applets I used to use weren't included with gnome2,
    so that might explain some things (and the gnome-applets [?] package
    didn't get upgraded until the _next_ time I ran aptitude, for some
    reason, though it didn't show up as broken or held the first time),
    though not the launchers.

  * My `gnome menu' customizations weren't preserved (before I had only
    debian menus enabled, and all others turned off, with the debian menus
    merged into the top-level).  There doesn't seem to be a menu-editor
    anymore, so I'm not sure how to get this one back...

  * My background image wasn't preserved.

  * None of my gnome-terminal settings seem to have been preserved (roughly:
    colors, scroll-bar pos, menu-bar-hidden).

  * Some `general' UI settings weren't preserved; the only one I remember
    right now is that before I had `icons only' for task-bars, and afterwards
    I had icons&text.

  * At first it seemed to have tried to preserve my theme, but failed -- it
    was really wierd, widgets seem to be randomly using either my old dark
    theme or the default light-background theme.  I tried to use the
    control-center to change it, but that didn't appear to work; later I
    realized this was because I had a `.gtkrc-2.0' file that pointed to my
    old gnome1 theme (I needed this before for gnome-terminal, which was
    updated to 2.0 before everything else), and that some things were using
    that, and some things were using the default theme.

    Deleting the file and using the control-center to change things
    "properly" fixed this.  [BTW, the desktop icon that's supposed to invoke
    gnomecc didn't work, because there was no program called `gnomecc' --
    only `gnome-control-center']

  * My start-up settings weren't preserved:  before I _didn't_ run the
    `desktop' program, but afterwards I got nautilus doing that; also before
    I had an entry that ran `xrdb', which wasn't preserved.

Well, that's all that comes to mind right now; if I remember anything else
that seems important I'll send a followup.

BTW, the fonts look very nice in gnome2 (actually, that seems to be the main
obvious improvement).

Thanks,

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.