Re: getting antialiased fonts to work

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 21:49, micah craig wrote:
> I have tried to run the gdkxft-capplet

Is libgdkxft from gnome 1.4 loaded? Shouldn't be. Likewise
gdkxft-capplet

Here (sarge), XF86Config-4 file contains
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType, XftConfig contains
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType, and /usr/share/fonts/truetype.
Module for X is freetype.
The libfreetype in sarge and sid is now compiled with bytecode
interpreter disabled, which gives worse quality. If you want it enabled,
recompile it (package freetype_2.1.2-9 in sarge) with "use_bytecode =
yes" set in freetype_2.1.2/debian/rules. But it works in any case.
Install anti-aliasing-howto which will pull in all needed packages.
Also, a working XftConfig example is put into
/usr/doc/anti-aliasing-howto. Set "export GDK_USE_XFT=1" (bash syntax)
in the script you use to login (.xinitrc, .xsession or
/etc/gdm/Sessions/<name>). That should do it (check that you haven't
exluded the font sizes you use in XftConfig).

Hope I haven't forgotten anything, regards, M.