Re: Gnome2 hangs for 30 secs in startup.

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 08:12:07PM +0200, Stian Jordet wrote:
> man, 2002-10-07 kl. 16:56 skrev Christian Marillat:
> > David Megginson <david@megginson.com> writes:
> >
> > > Christian Marillat writes:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > >  > This is already the case. See /usr/bin/gnome-wm
> >
> > > That, in fact, turns out to be the problem.  No amount of messing with
> > > gconf keys or setting of environment variables fixed the delay for me
> > > (although it was closer to 10 seconds than 30).  Simply renaming
> >
> > >   /usr/bin/gnome-wm

> > >   /usr/bin/gnome-wm.SAFE
> >
> > > did the trick; now metacity starts instantly, without the delay.  On a
> > > quick inspection, I cannot see what in the shell script was causing
> > > the problem.
> >
> > You have nothing in ~/.gnome-errors ?
> >
> > Can you do some more tests ?
> >
> > In /usr/share/gnome/default.session try to replace this line :
> >
> > 1,RestartCommand=gnome-wm --default-wm gnome-wm --sm-client-id default1
> >
> > by
> >
> > 1,RestartCommand=gnome-wm --default-wm x-window-manager --sm-client-id default1
> As I said earlier, this didn't help, but when I renamed
> /usr/bin/gnome-wm to something else, it starts instantly. :)

And when i did it, well, it started instantly, but there was no windows
manager running, so i suppose this is not the solution (well, at least
for me, i suppose you managed to get a windows manager running, you
would assuredly have noticed if there were none).

Friendly,

Sven luther