Re: Gnome2 hangs for 30 secs in startup.

On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 19:30, Stian Jordet wrote:
> søn, 2002-10-06 kl. 20:19 skrev Mark Nelson:
> > Hi Stian,
> >
> > Could you try saving your session when logging out, and then retry
> > logging in?  For a long time I had the same problem with gnome2 starting
> > up very slowly, and once I saved the session all of a sudden things
> > startup *much* faster.
> That did NOT help. Heh, I still have that 30 sec delay when the text
> "Window manager" appears, but this time I also get a 30 sec delay at
> "Sawfish Window manager".

I used to get this delay when the current window manager wasn't
configured at all.  ie. the gconf key
/desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/current

Try setting that key to, say, /usr/bin/sawfish or /usr/bin/metacity and
see if you still get the delay.

Elsewhere, I just helped a friend out on this too.  Shouldn't the
default Debian GNOME 2 install somehow set this key to
/usr/bin/x-window-manager so update-alternatives can handle this?

-- Edd