Re: Gnome 2.0 antialiased fonts

Peter De Wachter <pdewacht@vub.ac.be> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 10:44:19AM +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> > I have both LANG=de_DE@euro and GDK_USE_XFT=1 in /etc/environment. But
> > that doesn't seem to have the desired effect. gdm2 claims that the
> > system default was English and AA isn't used in Gnome.
>
> I'm still using the old gdm, and it has the LANG problem too. It seems
> to create a GDM_LANG=C environment variable, and gnome-session2 blindly
> copies GDM_LANG to LANG. I haven't been able to make gdm produce the
> right setting, so I have just put 'unset GDM_LANG' in my ~/.gnomerc.

seems to be fixed with GDM 2 - it uses for GDM_LANG whatever I have
put into ~/.gnome2/gdm.

The issue, I'm complaining about is a different one. This is what the
changelog says about locale setting:

Fri Aug 23 11:04:38 2002  George Lebl <jirka@5z.com>

	* daemon/gdm.[ch], daemon/slave.c, gui/gdmlogin.c,
	  gui/greeter/greeter.c: Whack DefaultLocale as that
	  setting was on crack to begin with.  If the system default
	  is being used just don't set anything.  If you want gdm
	  to use some language other then the system default, change
	  the gdm startup script, but that doesn't seem to make much
	  sense.  Check for language existance and if it doesn't exist
	  use the system default.  Now bsd and non-bsd language setup
	  is not different (And is still bsd-setusercontext-nice).
	  Whack the unaliasing of languages.  That was complete
	  nonsense,

So there is no more way of presetting a default locale for the users
in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf. Instead, they say they are using the "system
default".

But I have no idea, how gdm determines what it calls "system
default". It happily ignores both /etc/environment, which is the
canonical way of setting system wide defaults and also an existing
LANG variable.

I've inserted export LANG=de_DE@euro into /usr/bin/gdm (the latter one
is now a shell script.) This makes the gdm greeter interface show up
in German, but gdm still sets GDM_LANG to C unless it finds an entry
in ~/.gnome2/gdm

I'll have a look at bugzilla.gnome.org and see if there are any locale
related reports for gdm.

Johannes