Re: GNOME 2.1.x is not ready for Debian

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 04:12:05PM +0200, Stefan Schwandter wrote:
> Graham Wilson wrote:
> > > Could i ask that we _DON'T_ put 2.1.x in experimental, but in a
> > > separate staging area. When the time is right for it that is
> > > naturally.
>
> > that means we would have to find a maintainer who is willing.
> > experimental isnt all to difficult. just be sure not to do:
>
> >  # apt-get upgrade -t experimental upgrade
>
> > as that might mess your system up.
>
> I think his point was, that the current packages in experimental
> shouldn't be replaced by new, 2.1.x ones, and I agree with him here. How
> is gnome2 for debian supposed to stabilize if always the latest snapshot
> release is uploaded?

i agree also. i wasnt saying that 2.1.x should be put in experimental,
but simply that there is nothing wrong with using experimental, as i
think that is how sven feels. i was simply trying to point out that
there is nothing wrong with using experimental.

when and _if_ the time comes to upload 2.1.x, i think it should be done
in experimental, not in a staging area that a developer would have to
maintain. but that time is not now, as we still have 2.0 issues to work
out.

--
gram