Re: Gnome 2 summary 28/09/2002

Christian Marillat wrote:
Hi,

I've uploaded the following packages in experimental without the 2 suffix :

gnome-control-center

Hi guys,

I haven't been completely following the latest details in the gnome2 transition plan, but I think the plan is to eventually override all gnome1 packages with gnome2 packages.

This is fine with me, so long as we're able to still support programs that require gnome1/gtk1 libraries, and I think that the plan is to do so.

However, a couple of problems come up with gnome-control-center. Gnome1's version gives you the only good way of changing gtk1 themes. If users lost that ability in an upgrade, they would (potentially) be stuck using an arbitrary theme for a really long time. In addition, the gnome1 control-center lets you configure many other aspects of gnome1, like MDI policies and such that span all gnome applications. This makes control-center seem more like a "gnome1 support library" than an actual application... and it would be great if it could be supported in the future along with gtk1, etc.

Is there any way that gnome1's control center could remain in the distribution, maybe with a 1 suffix?

Michael