Re: GNOME2 in experimental

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 10:45:50PM +0200, seb128 wrote:

> No lazy ... but they are not devels, just users. Do you want make a
> distribution for all users, or just for devels and debian experts ?

We do make a distribution for all users.  It's called "stable".
People who want to live on the bleeding edge by running our unstable
system should expect to bleed a little (though we try to minimize the
pain, since most of _us_ run unstable in order to build packages for
unstable).  And that goes double for experimental.

> These people don't want use experimental, they just want install gnome2

Then they can either wait until we judge that it's ready, or they can
learn how to use apt and experimental properly, or they can run off
half-cocked and break their systems.  Let me say this again: UNSTABLE
AND EXPERIMENTAL ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR ALL USERS!

> ... and the only way for that is to use experimental! So they just add a
> line in their source.list .. not thinking that can break something!

Not thinking is right.  People who don't think should not be using
unstable, let alone experimental.  If that means they can't use gnome2
yet, well, that's life.  Gnome1.4 still works fine.  Gnome2 will go in
when we decide it's ready.  Which should be fairly soon.  Impatient
people will just have to learn to deal with their impatience or live
with its consequences.

cheers
--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single