Re: GNOME2 in experimental

On Don, 2002-09-05 at 21:48, Rob Bradford wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 19:50, seb128 wrote:
> > I think you will agree with the fact that some packages in experimental
> > are not for all users (ie: libpam).
> > But how the users upgrade their gnome2 system ?
> > Because dist-upgrade don't upgrade gnome2, many of them just use
> > 'apt-get dist-upgrade -t experimental' ... and so upgrade their system
> > with experimentals packages (and not only gnome2 packages)!

Why don't they apt-get -t experimental install gnome2, as indicated on
http://www.hadess.net/idoru.php3, which is linked from
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/ ?

> If you are that scared about upgrading into packages from experimental i
> suggest you do some pinning, or at least default release. man 5
> apt_preferences and man 5 apt.conf might be of some help to you too.

I think only pinning is necessary and only for experimental packages, as
experimental has a low default priority. I simply select the versions I
want in aptitude.