Re: GNOME2 in experimental

On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 19:50, seb128 wrote:
> I think you will agree with the fact that some packages in experimental
> are not for all users (ie: libpam).
> But how the users upgrade their gnome2 system ?
> Because dist-upgrade don't upgrade gnome2, many of them just use
> 'apt-get dist-upgrade -t experimental' ... and so upgrade their system
> with experimentals packages (and not only gnome2 packages)!

Why do people do this? apt-get dist-upgrade is extemely dangerous and is
*ONLY* intended to be used to upgrade between stable distributions (and
possibly between unreleased distributions) but not for general package
upgrades. It will happily remove half of your system just to resolve one
conflict with one teeny weeny package you couldnt care less about. In
short: DONT USE IT!. What you want is apt-get upgrade.

If you are that scared about upgrading into packages from experimental i
suggest you do some pinning, or at least default release. man 5
apt_preferences and man 5 apt.conf might be of some help to you too.

The whole GNOME2 transition debate has been forwarded to the tech
committee who are at the moment are in an information gathering spree.

I recommend you dont waste your breath on arguments that have been heard
here many times before, if you feel you can make a productive comment
then follow up on the technical committee discussions on #154950 and
tech-ctte mailing list.

Regards,

Rob
--