Great news on the GNOME 1.4 front...

Incoming now has the packages imlib1, imlib1-dev, gdk-imlib1 and
gdk-imlib1-dev. These link against libpng2 like the old ones did before
our imlib maintainer made the unilateral change to up the soversion to
create imlib1 linked against libpng3, which he called imlib2 which
exists nowhere else on the planet in any distro - do not confuse it with
libimlib2 which is a totally different source package.

This means GNOME 1.4 libs can have their build deps changed to use the
new gdk-imlib1-dev, and need not mention or concern themselves with any
libpng*-dev packages. Then they can be rebuilt and it will all fall back
into place, and we will once more be ABI compatible with our existing
releases and everybody else - we should ignore imlib2 as a strange
Debian curiosa and not compile anything against it.

While you're doing this Christian, it would be good to ensure none of
the /usr/bin/*Conf.sh files refer to -ltiff -lpng -lungif -ljpeg,
because GNOME and the applet libs don't refer to this functionality
directly, and nor do their -dev packages need to depend on lib{tiff,png,
ungif,jpeg}-dev.

Here's hoping this gets mopped up soon. Even if sid changes to GNOME 2
for the desktop (gnome-{panel,applets,session,control-center...}) we
still need the libs to work for all the existing applications.

Regards,
Rob