Re: GNOME 2 in unstable announcement

> Le Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 01:49:29PM +0200, Rémi Letot écrivait:
>> This will show all gnome2 and gnome1 packages, without any way to
>> distinguish between them.
>
> The distinction is made by the distribution ... testing = Gnome 1.4,
> unstable = Gnome 2.
>
> It is not really complicated to understand.
>
>> So people install gnome2, reconfigure everything, and sometimes later,
>> you ask them to risk their new configuration by lanching the
>> conversion scripts manually to test them ? How many will do it ?
>
> Can't you imagine for example that people will learn about the conversion
> scripts as soon as they install Gnome 2 because it will be mentionned
> in a debconf notice ?

Ok, now imagine this (I'll be very slow) : people upgrade to gnome2 as
soon as the gnome maintainers upload to unstable. They use the
conversion scripts, the new ones, the quite untested ones. (I don't
criticize Christian's work, but those scripts will not be perfect at
the first shot, every discussion about the transition would be moot
otherwize). Those scripts work well for many people, and pose problems
for others. Those others submit bugs, then manually tweak their
configurations (so they can use their desktop). gnome maintainers fix
the problems,... who now will test those new scripts ? The people who
could (those for which there was a problem) have already manually
reconfigured, and you lost your most valuable testers.

If you don't make gnome2 the default as soon as it hits unstable, the
conversion will be much more gradual for developpers, and you'll keep
receiving input w<hile the scripts mature.

Cheers,
--
Rémi

`Debian: giving you the power to shoot yourself in each
 toe individually.' -- with kudos to Greg Lehey