Re: GNOME 2 in unstable announcement

> Le Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:52:19AM +0200, Rémi Letot écrivait:
>> I know apt-get enough, thank you. But as long as there is no easy way
>> to distinguish packages from gnome2/gnome1, there is no easy way to
>> tell apt-get which packages to upgrade/downgrade.
>>
>> How in hell am I supposed to keep gnome1 if I don't even know which
>> packages are from gnome2 ? OK, you can tell me "read the list
>> archive", I know there is a list of packages, but that does not
>> qualify as an easy or obvious way. A *2 package name does.
>
> This is ridiculous. If we package Gnome 1 and Gnome 2 separately, you
> still have to know the list of packages which are part of Gnome in order
> to install all the *2 packages.

For the moment, apt-get install gnome2 makes the transition. I don't
have to know anything about which packages I need to make the
transition, and I can choose *if* I want to make it. Uploading the
experimental stuff to unstable would keep this state.

> So in any case, if you plan to switch from one to the other,
> you have to know the list of packages that constitutes Gnome.

Not at all, the pseudo package makes this easy : easy to transition to
gnome2 *at will*, and then you can record what is added (and removed)
to the system so the way back is easy also. It is automatic and
voluntary for the transition itself, and you just havbe to record the
changes to go back.

> This list (or a superset of the list) can be obtained with :
> apt-cache show gnome

This will show all gnome2 and gnome1 packages, without any way to
distinguish between them.

>> You want good testing of the system (conversion scripts,...) before it
>> goes to the testing branch ? Then you need to keep developpers with
>> gnome1 systems at first. If your first move towards a well tested
>> transition is to slam each potential tester's configuration, how are
>> you going to test ? With lame users like me ?
>
> Installing Gnome2 doesn't slam any configuration. It just push you in an
> unconfigured (~default configured) desktop.
>
> You can test the transition scripts by launching the manually at any
> time. They will just replace your current Gnome2 configuration by the
> configuration extracted from your gnome 1.4 configuration files.

So people install gnome2, reconfigure everything, and sometimes later,
you ask them to risk their new configuration by lanching the
conversion scripts manually to test them ? How many will do it ?

Compare that with the number of people who will just wait for gnome2
to mature a bit, then install it and lanch the conversion scripts
*without risk*, because anyway they don't have anything configured...

--
Rémi

`Debian: giving you the power to shoot yourself in each
 toe individually.' -- with kudos to Greg Lehey