Re: Gnome 2 summary 29/07/2002

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 00:15, Joe Drew wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 18:55, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > It's nothing to do with the purpose of 'unstable' - it's really basic, down
> > to Earth, "is this a benefit to users?" stuff. Replacing any/every GNOME 1.x
> > component with it's 2.x version, at this stage, is *NOT* a benefit to Real
> > Users. It's a pretty significant pain in the arse, if anything.
>
> Jeff,
>
> We don't plan on releasing any version of GNOME 2 to users until we're
> damned sure it's ready. GNOME 1 will remain in testing, and if for some
> reason GNOME 2 isn't ready by the time sarge releases, it'll stay there.
> We can upgrade packages in testing via sarge-proposed-updates without
> disturbing the state of unstable, too.
>
> The problem is that it's impossible to get good testing on upgrades
> (from GNOME 1 to GNOME 2) until it's in unstable, because it's difficult
> for users to install stuff from experimental. Up to this point we've
> been saying "deal with it," but our opinion as maintainers seems to
> generally be "GNOME 2 in unstable."
>
> (The only part I'm a bit concerned with is that gnome-utils 2.0 doesn't
> appear to contain gtt, which has a number of users in Debian. I'm
> uncomfortable uploading a new version of gnome-utils to unstable (once
> Christian uploads the prerequisites) if it's going to remove a program
> users use. What happened?)

The upstream maintainer did absolutely nothing to port it, and because
the people actually doing the gnome-utils port (myself at first, then
Glynn and Kevin) weren't interested in the application, it wasn't
ported.

I think that gtt will be maintained outside gnome-utils now. You'd have
to ask Linas for more infos.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net